What are the top kitchen remodeling trends for 2014? The answer seems to depend upon the audience. Both Houzz and Zillow Digs released results of kitchen remodeling surveys within the past few months. Here’s what the surveys revealed:
Soft and Neutral Color Schemes in Open Kitchens Most Popular
The leading online platform for home remodeling and design, with more than 2,000,000 uploaded photos. Website: www.houzz.com
About the Survey:
Conducted in October 2013 among more than 7,500 Houzz users who are planning or in the midst of a kitchen remodel
• Only a third of those renovating a kitchen are increasing the square footage of their space;
• Three-quarters are opening up their kitchens;
• Three in five respondents are incorporating an island;
• Younger homeowners more likely to describe their future kitchen as contemporary or modern; while those over 55 years old favor a traditional look;
• The vast majority (94 percent) of respondents plan to change their countertops. Granite and quartz are the top picks (86 percent), and many people mix and match materials for their island;
• Nearly two thirds of respondents are choosing stainless steel appliances, although many respondents reported combining stainless appliances with appliances integrated into cabinetry for a more subtle look;
• “Soft and neutral” is the most popular color scheme choice (75 percent). A much smaller group are going “bright and colorful” (14 percent) or “bold and dramatic” (11 percent);
• More daring colors are closely associated with a preference for contemporary or modern kitchens;
• Eco-friendly appliances and materials are generally considered important. Those who declared choosing eco-friendly materials and appliances to be “extremely important” are more likely to choose tile flooring, while all other groups favored hardwood.
• Overwhelmingly, survey respondents are renovating to make their kitchens more beautiful and to please themselves (80 percent). Other reasons include making the kitchen more functional (59 percent), upgrading features or appliances (52 percent) and improving organization and storage (48 percent)
Black Counters, Open Shelves or Glass-Front Cabinets & Darker Paint Tones are Hot
About Zillow Digs:
The home design portal of the leading online real estate platform. Homeowners can browse more than 130,000 pictures of interiors and exteriors, organized by space, style, cost and color. Website: www.zillow.com/digs
About the Survey:
The Zillow Digs Home Design Trend Report is based on the most popular kitchen photos on Zillow Digs and includes a survey of members of the Zillow Digs Board of Designers.
• Black kitchen counters will be all the rage next year, particularly black granite and quartz. Expect to see black countered-kitchens paired with a lighter counter such as marble or light gray for contrast;
• Open shelves and glass-front cabinets to display kitchen wares in popular across all kitchen styles;
• Black, deep brown and dark red and copper tones are some of the most popular kitchen paint colors
What would be in your dream kitchen? If you are making plans to renovate your kitchen, contact us for ideas!